Traditional Lead Climbing – 2 Days
Solid gear placement skills are the foundation of a long, safe leading career and open the door to many forms of climbing from pleasant single pitch cracks in the Smoke Bluffs to alpine adventures in the Bugaboos. This comprehensive program (our most popular) is intended for participants with a solid top-roping background who are ready to the make a significant step towards climbing independence. Instructional topics include:
- Crag hazards and lead climbing safety.
- Protection history, placement, evaluation and removal.
- Lead climbing strategy, lead belays and top-down belays.
- Multi-directional anchor construction.
- Anchor management and rope-handling.
- Fall factors, UIAA drop test and impact force.
- Equipment selection.
At the end of the weekend, participants will have the skills to safely lead single pitch rock climbs on their own.