This excellent five-day program is designed to accelerate a climber’s skills to a new level in a short period of time. The goal is to create an independent lead climber in a single week and the course is best suited to those who have become comfortable top-roping indoors or have a small amount of outdoor experience. Because of the length of the program, varying skill levels can be accommodated.
The course begins with an introduction to crag safety and, over the course of the week, the following topics will be introduced:
- Knots for rock climbing.
- Belay techniques (top-rope, lead and top-down).
- Top-rope anchor construction (bolts, trees and multi-point).
- Movement skills (crack, slab and face).
- Sport climbing techniques for leading on bolts.
- Traditional protection placement, evaluation and removal.
- Anchor construction with traditional protection.
- Lead climbing strategy for traditional crack climbs.
- Multi-pitch systems.
- Retreating from a climb that proves to be too difficult.
- Basic self rescue techniques (if time allows).
The ongoing coaching and feedback from the guide during this five-day program provides a learning experience second to none.