Of all the guiding companies on the West Coast, none are as qualified to offer these unique programs as is Squamish Rock Guides. Colin Moorhead instructs and examines on the ACMG Guide Training Rock courses and is pleased to offer two separate programs to meet the needs of aspirant guides and curious recreational climbers alike.
Guiding Skills – Preparation for Guide Training Rock
The goal of this program is to introduce the basic skills needed to become a rock climbing guide. It is best suited to traditional lead climbers who are comfortable in the multi-pitch environment, or registrants for the ACMG Guide Training Rock course in June. Over the course of the weekend, the core material taught on the GTR program will be introduced, giving GTR participants a head start and recreational climbers a feel for what is expected of a professional guide. The basic curriculum will involve:
- Discussion – What does it mean to be a professional climber?
- Protection placement and multi-directional anchor review.
- Introduction to the ACMG demonstration rescue system.
- Introduction to basic lowering systems and brakes.
- Introduction to guide/client rappels.
- Multi-pitch ascent practice on the Apron (focus on client care).
- Multi-pitch retreat practice on the Apron with newly learned systems.
- Debrief of program and coaching on where to go from here.
This course can also be arranged privately through our private instruction and private guiding program.