Learning outdoor sport climbing skills and lead theory from a guide is the safest way to begin a long, prosperous and injury-free leading career.
Learning to lead on bolts is the logical progression from top-roping and opens the door to a lot of brilliant climbing destinations like Skaha, British Columbia and Smith Rocks, Oregon. A good background in sport climbing is also an excellent foundation to begin lead climbing cracks on traditional protection. Instructional topics for this course will include:
- Hazard recognition and management at the crag.
- Equipment selection.
- Quickdraw use, pre-clipping, back-clipping and “Z”-clipping.
- Lead belaying, positioning and fall dynamics, gri gri.
- Falling techniques and overcoming “fear”.
- Anchor threading and lowering.