Big Wall Climbing with Bronwyn Hodgins
Do you dream of climbing El Capitan in Yosemite? Do you want to climb a route over multiple days and sleep on the side of the cliff? Take your adventure climbing to the next level! Big Wall climbing requires a huge array of skills and knowledge. This intensive two-day course will give you a solid start on your journey and provide you with recommendations on how to continue your training and preparation toward your goal. The course can be tailored to specific objectives of the participants. Instructional topics may include:
- Hauling techniques (1:1, 2:1, 3:1)
- Basic aid climbing and bolt ladders
- Ascending a rope and cleaning pieces under tension
- Docking and releasing the haul bag
- Lowering out the haul bag
- Lowering out yourself
- Hanging bivis with portaledge
- Retreat/ rappelling with the haul bag
- Rope management on a Big Wall
Your instructor will be Bronwyn Hodgins. As well as being an ACMG guide and professional athlete Bronwyn has multiple big wall ascents to her credit in Yosemite, Baffin Island, and the Bugaboos.
This is an advanced skills course. Participants should be competent in the following: Multi-pitch systems, rappelling, placing trad gear and building trad anchors.