ACMG Apprentice Rock Guide, Professional Climber
Originally from rural Ontario, she grew up canoeing, hiking and skiing with her family. She started climbing at university and immediately fell in love with the sport. After graduating from an undergrad in engineering, she travelled and climbed in Europe, Morocco and the US before moving to Squamish in January 2017.
Bronwyn loves all the rock disciplines, but her biggest dreams lie in Big Wall free climbing. In May 2021, Bronwyn became the third woman to free Golden Gate, a 34-pitch 13b on El Capitan in Yosemite, California. In the summer of 2019 she led a 6-week Arctic expedition to Baffin Island where she and her husband, Jacob Cook, established long alpine-style free routes including a new line on Mount Asgard. They accessed these mountains by packraft, running much of the Weasel River and making the trip self-propelled from the Inuit community of Pangnirtung.
Bronwyn loves guiding because she gets to facilitate first-hand the joy and empowerment of outdoor adventure. She sees each day of work as a mentorship opportunity to pass on her skills and knowledge, teaching her clients how to safely explore the natural world on their own! As a river guide for seven seasons, Bronwyn led long white-water journeys across northern Canada. This included a 52-day exploratory expedition in the Yukon with ten 18-year-olds in 2017. She became an ACMG Apprentice Rock Guide in 2019 and has been working for Squamish Rock Guides since then.
- • Golden Gate (5.13b, 34 pitches), El Capitan, Yosemite, May 2021 (third female ascent)
- • Freerider (5.13a, 32 pitches), El Capitan, Yosemite, Nov 2018 (first Canadian woman to free El Cap)
- • El Corazon (5.13b, 35 pitches), El Capitan, Yosemite, Oct 2017 (not all free)
- • Lotus Flower Tower (5.11a, 19 pitches), Cirque of the Unclimbables, Jul 2016
- • Moonlight Buttress (5.12d, 9 pitches), Zion, Utah, Apr 2015
- • Never Laugh at Live Dragons (5.11, 600m), South Tower of Asgard, Baffin Island, Jul 2019
- • The Niv Mizzet Line (13a, 400m), Baffin Island, Aug 2019 (one fall at crux)
- • Dr. Bronner's 2 in 1 (5.13 roof crack boulder/trad hybrid), Squamish, Oct 2020
- • Shear Lunacy (12c, 9 pitches), Zion, Feb 2021
- • Monkey Finger (12a, 7 pitches), Zion, Feb 2021
- • Alaska Highway into The Ron Zalko Workout P1 (12a, 6 pitches), Sep 2020
- • The Left Side of the Grand Wall (12a, 8 pitches), Squamish, Jun 2018
- • Riders on the Storm (12b, 7 pitches), Cirque of the Unclimbables, Jul 2016
- • 13d Redpoint: Killer Bees, The Hurricave, Utah, Jan 2021
- • 13a Flash: Cliff Dwellers, The Hurricave, Utah, Feb 2021
- • 12d Onsight: Bastard Step Child, Wailing Wall, Utah, Mar 2021
- • Master Blaster 5.13c, Zion, Utah, Feb 2021
- • The Optimator 5.13a, Indian Creek, Utah, Mar 2018
- • Zombie Roof 5.12d, Squamish, June 2017
- • Zap Crack 5.12d, Squamish, Sep 2020